Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Review: Bomboloni

Place: Bomboloni
187 Columbus Ave
(between 68th St & 69th St)
(212) 877-3080

Items ordered:
Pistachio donut, apple donut, creme brulee donut

Cost: $1.50 each

Rating out of five:






Disbelief followed by disappointment.

Lets start with the pistachio bombolini. (Again, I apologize for the photos of camera phone photos, this will hopefully be the last time I ever have to do this).























Not much pistachio flavor to speak of at all. Had I been blind folded I don't think I would have been able to discern any flavor other than "custard", which is a shame. The dough wasn't anything to write home about either.





















It was when I bit into the apple donut that I felt I understood Bombolini. They use apple sauce for the filling. Seriously, I'm not shitting you. Like straight from the jar apple sauce. I was appalled. Such a cute place with real Italians working behind the counter shouldn't be serving this to customers, they should have a sense of shame.















Applesauce?! What are you doing in a donut? Get out, you don't even fit!

Then, there was the creme brulee...

















Plain, ordinary custard inside with a hardened top. This particular donuts dough tasted almost exactly like Dunkin Donuts'. Except not as good. Seriously. I was shocked. The dough alone made me gag, but the custard? Guys, your missing an amazing opportunity. Don't just use the same uniform custard for every donut (other than the apple one, for fucks sake), actually make something different for each one. Something that tastes like what you claim to be mirroring.

As it is now, you couldn't pay me to come here again.

No comments:

Post a Comment