Monday, January 25, 2010

Dessert Review: Conti's





Conti's Ristorante
249-11 Northern Blvd
Little Neck, NY - 11363
(718) 428-8800







Item ordered: Mele Cotte al Vino Bianco

Rating out of 5:




Ignore the crappy picture quality and the tacky musical candle- this dessert is amazing. What is Mele Cotte al Vino Bianco, you ask? Warm apples cooked in white wine, sprinkled with brown sugar (and possibly cinnamon), topped with ice cream.

The name is without a description on the dessert menu, so as soon as the waiter finished explaining the ingredients I knew this was what I wanted, and I kindly asked that he write down the name of the dessert because there was no way I was going to remember it.

Its simple and delicious. Its like warm apple pie filling without the crust, and the brown sugar flavor is strong but also compliments the other ingredients perfectly. There is a good chance I'm going to try this out in an apple pie recipe.

So I eagerly come home to Google it and find...not much actually. About.com has Mele Cotte col Vino, but the recipe advises red wine and doesn't specify brown sugar. Other links include pork chops in white wine, and pears in white wine, but nothing for apples or this particular dessert. At least the recipe is ridiculously simple, so when I make it I'll be sure to post the end result, along with whatever recipe I concoct.


This is their napoleon, which is beautiful but...no hard icing? I had a bite and it was okay, but for me a napoleon just isn't a napoleon without that icing.

Overall a good experience (and they have solid Italian food too)!

No comments:

Post a Comment