Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Recipe Review: Magnolia's Apple Pecan Quick-Bread
















Recipe: Apple Pecan Quick Bread

Source: The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook

Overall rating out of 5:




OK, I know this bread doesn't seem impressive, but it definitely tastes better than it looks. A friend asked me what "quick bread" actually is, and Wiki tells me its: "a type of bread which is leavened with chemical leaveners such as baking powder, sodium bicarbonate, or cream of tartar" (as opposed to yeast that takes hours to rise).

The book suggests replacing half of the apples with cranberries if you want more of a tart flavor.

Makes 1 loaf:
1 3/4 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup orange juice (I left this out)
5 1/3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
2 large eggs lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped Golden Delicious apples
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.
In a large bowl sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, making a well in the center. Set aside. Stir in the liquid ingredients till just combined, do not over mix. Gently stir in the apples and pecans. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or till a cake tester inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs attached. Don't over bake.


Since I omitted the orange juice, the bread was undoubtably more dry than it would have been, I didn't have to "pour" in the batter. When I pulled it out of the oven I lowered any expectations I had, and was very surprised to have it taste so well. The bread itself tastes somewhat similar to Irish soda bread, the apples add sweetness and the pecans counter them nicely. Its a little crumbly, so next time I'll definitely add the orange juice. Its a quick yummy snack, perfect for breakfast too.

No comments:

Post a Comment