Monday, October 19, 2009

Review: Kyotofu

Kyotofu
705 9 Ave
New York, NY 10019-7929
(212) 974-6012

Items ordered: mini pumpkin cupcake, mini chocolate souffle cupcake, mini green tea cupcake

Total: $6

Me and a couple of friends started off our mini cupcake crawl here. They have a whole restaurant, and our super friendly server assured us it was ok if we sat inside even if we only got dessert. We decided to sit at the bar anyway. They brought us glasses of water and menus. I ordered the 3 mini cupcakes (mainly because I could have sworn I saw a sign that said 3 for $3.75 give or take a quarter). One of my friends ordered the same thing, the other ordered the Cookie Jar.

At around the 15-20 minute mark I finally asked if it usually took this long to get cupcakes (we were all talking about how fresh this stuff better be), and she answered with, 'Its done!' Oh. OK, cool. Maybe I was just being impatient?

The presentation was impressive. The three mini cupcakes are laid out on a wooden tray, resting on top of a long leaf, with raspberries in a little dish on the side.

  • First up was the chocolate souffle. It was extremely fresh, probably the freshest cupcake I've ever had. There was no icing. The sweetness was middle of the road, and the chocolate flavor was very strong.

  • Next was the green tea. Just as fresh as the first one. Also no icing, and it wasn't sweet at all (which is usually a deal breaker for me). I didn't even finish the little bit that was there. I also wasn't too impressed with the flavor, but I'm not a huge fan of green tea. My two friends have much less of a sweet tooth than I do and they loved it.

  • The last one I tried was the pumpkin, 5/5 for freshness. The icing was nice, but it was extremely light in flavor, my mouth had the feeling a mint gives only without the mint flavor. I thought the cake was much better than the frosting, with a heavier pumpkin taste. It also wasn't 'too' sweet (a sentiment I never understood- I'm not sure there is such a thing as too sweet).

Overall rating out of 5:




I did try a bite of my friends cookie and noticed the freshness more than anything else. Also, it comes in a real jar! Very cute.

I'm not sure how it came to $6 for each of us, I guess I just mis-read the sign.

But we did get three mini mini cupcakes with the check!

Though they were far too bitter for any of us to finish :( Its beyond dark chocolate.

I definitely want to go again, and next time I'll try some full size cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment