Friday, October 30, 2009

Recipe Review: Sweet Potato Pie


I had my first taste of sweet potato pie ever earlier this month, at Little Pie Company. Amazing. I can't wait to go back and give them a proper review. Their delicious mini pie inspired me to make my own.

I used the filling recipe from The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook.

Crust:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick of cold butter cut up small
2-3 tablespoons of ice water

Filling:
Half a stick of butter, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 cups mashed sweet potato, well drained
2 eggs at room temperature
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons bourbon
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon salt

I used two fresh sweet potatoes, peeled, cut up small, boiled, drained, and then mashed.
I would also suggest using a full teaspoon of cinnamon, maybe even a teaspoon and a half, if you like a stronger cinnamon flavor.

I used a different but similar recipe for the crust. I also don't own a food processor or a pastry blender, but my regular blender seemed to work just fine (if your using a regular blender I would suggest cutting your butter into tablespoons)
The directions are adapted to my own own words and are slightly altered.


Directions
Crust:
Place flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. With a pastry blender cut in the butter until pieces are pea sized. Sprinkle the ice water over the flour mix in tablespoons, tossing with a fork until the dough is moistened. Form dough into a ball. On a slightly floured surface, roll out the dough to fit a 9-inch pie plate. Bring dough to pie plate, poke holes in the bottom of the crust with a fork, and fold the edges under around the rim and crimp.

Cut a piece of fin foil big enough to cover your pie. Coat it with about half a tablespoon of butter. Place the tin foil over the pie and press the buttered area down. If you have pie weights place them on top of the foil. I used two measuring cups filled with raw rice (you can re-use the rice for this purpose in the future). Bake for 10 minutes, then take the pie crust out of the oven. Take off the weights and foil. Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees and put pie crust back in the oven for another 10 minutes. Take out and cool.

Filling:
With a mixer, combine the butter, sugar, and brown sugar on a low speed until fluffy (about 3 minutes). Add the sweet potatoes, the eggs, milk, and bourbon. Beat till well combined. Add the vanilla and spices, mix well. Pour the filling into the crust and bake for 45-55 minutes, until filling is set or a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.

Cool pie for half an hour before serving.


The recipe does not mention how to store the pie. If your not serving it immediately or within the next few hours, I would put it in the fridge, covered (this is what I did). Before serving let it warm to room temperature (unless you like it cold as some folks do).

The verdict? Delicious! I could use a stronger flavor, maybe slightly more cinnamon and nutmeg, but otherwise the taste is excellent. The texture could use just a little work, though I'm almost positive this is my fault- I don't think my butter was softened enough. Don't skip the bourbon! The taste comes through and gives it the perfect bite.

Overall rating out of 5:

No comments:

Post a Comment